Las Vegas Cerebral Palsy Lawyer
Cerebral palsy is an incurable disorder in which brain damage impairs an individual’s ability to think, speak, walk and/or otherwise coordinate his or her muscles. At the Law Offices of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter, Smith & Cullen, our highly qualified Las Vegas cerebral palsy lawyers are committed to helping those diagnosed with CP recover compensation for damages if the condition was caused by medical malpractice.
According to the National Center on Birth Defects & Developmental Disorders (NCBDDD), approximately 764,000 Americans are currently living with cerebral palsy. While cerebral palsy affects 1 in every 278 children, in most cases, this condition is diagnosed in infants under 2 years old. Those with milder cases of cerebral palsy may not be diagnosed until they are 4 or 5 years old, as more subtle cognitive dysfunctions won’t be apparent until infants have matured a bit.
Cerebral Palsy Types
Cerebral palsy can manifest in different ways, depending on the part of the brain that is damaged.
The different types of cerebral palsy include:
- Ataxic cerebral palsy: Affecting between 5 and 10 percent of all CP patients, ataxic cerebral palsy is characterized by poor muscle tone, difficulty walking and tremors.
- Athetoid cerebral palsy: Affecting about 10 percent of all CP patients, athetoid cerebral palsy is marked by involuntary, purposeless movements that complicate speech, eating, grasping or other movements requiring coordination.
- Spastic cerebral palsy: Affecting approximately 80 percent of all CP patients, spastic cerebral palsy is caused by damage to the cerebral cortex (the outer lawyer of the brain); it is characterized by involuntary, jerky movements as well as muscle and joint deformities, which will significantly affect mobility and coordination.
- Mixed cerebral palsy: Affecting between 5 and 10 percent of all CP patients, mixed cerebral palsy refers to a condition that is a mix of any two of the above types of CP. The most common mix involves spastic and athetoid cerebral palsy.
Cerebral Palsy Symptoms
The precise symptoms of a cerebral palsy patient will experience will depend on the type and severity of his condition.
Among the most common symptoms of cerebral palsy are:
- Difficulty speaking and/or making precise movements (i.e. writing, buttoning a shirt, etc.)
- Drooling and/or problems swallowing or sucking
- Lack of coordination
- Mental retardation
- Muscle stiffness
- Over or poorly toned muscles
- Spasticity and exaggerated reflexes
Because the initial brain injury is typically caused by an isolated trauma, the injury and the associated symptoms don’t worsen over time.
Cerebral Palsy Treatment & Legal Support in Las Vegas
Like symptoms, treatments for cerebral palsy will depend on the nature and severity of the condition. However, because there is currently no cure for CP, treatments generally involve minimizing the symptoms and helping patients live as independently as possible. Common cerebral palsy treatments include surgery, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and various medications, ranging from anti-convulsant drugs to muscle relaxants.
Help for Parents Whose Children Are Diagnosed
If your child was diagnosed with cerebral palsy in Las Vegas, we welcome you to attend a complimentary consultation to find out if you have a birth injury case and are entitled to a settlement. Even if you are not sure what caused your child’s cerebral palsy, we will conduct an investigation to find that out. If your child was injured before, during, or after the birthing process, resulting in a lack of oxygen to his/her brain, we will find out why and will fight to ensure the responsible party is held accountable.
Even though a monetary award cannot reverse your child’s CP, it can help you provide him/her with the highest quality treatments and ensure the highest quality of life.
Contact Our Las Vegas Cerebral Palsy Attorney Now!
The distinguished, highly skilled cerebral palsy lawyers at the Law Firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter, Smith & Cullen are passionate about providing CP victims and their families with professional and committed legal representation so they can recover the maximum possible compensation and seek the treatments they need to move on with their lives.
Contact our cerebral palsy lawyers today at (702) 505-8115 for information about your potential case.
Medical Malpractice Cases Include:
- Birth Injuries
- Doctor & Nurse Negligence
- Emergency Room Negligence
- Nursing Home Negligence & Abuse
- Surgical Errors
- Cancer Misdiagnosis
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
- Failure to Treat
- Hospital Infections
- Medication Errors
- Robotic Surgery Machine Infection
- Emergency Care at UMC in Las Vegas
- Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center in Las Vegas
- Know The Facts: Emergency Room Negligence Is Medical Malpractice
- Understanding Medical Malpractice And When You Might Have A Legal Claim
- Important Requirements When Filing Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
- Studies Show Increase in Medical Malpractice Injuries
- When a Nurse Can Be Liable for Medical Malpractice
“They made everything so seamless and easy for me and were always available for questions or reassurance. This law firm clearly not only cares about what they do, but the clients they do it for. Thank you, Javier and the whole team!”- Aimee W.
“Since day one of meeting Brett, I knew I was in good hands. Brett made sure to thoroughly explain and cover any/all question or concern that I had, and was able to ease my mind and get me an answer to the question/s I was seeking.”- Julie M.
“Lawrence Smith is a Godsend! He's a good man. Very nice & professional.”- Aaliyah R.
Legacy of Client Satisfaction
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.
Committed to the Community
We are proud to support a number of charitable organizations as a way to give back to the community we are honored to serve.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.
Comprehensive Legal Guidance
Our attorneys will handle each aspect of your case, including securing short and long-term medical care, helping to recover lost wages and more.
Proven Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.