Las Vegas Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
We Will Go the Distance for You
Discovering that your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse is devastating and highly emotional. Unfortunately, you are not alone. Nursing home abuse and neglect occur at an alarmingly high rate, due in part to the fact that nursing home residents are often fragile, vulnerable, and afraid or incapable of speaking up.
At Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys understand the emotional trauma associated with these types of cases. We strive to provide the compassion and commitment it takes to help victims and their families recover compensation for their losses. We have devoted our practice to helping the injured and fight aggressively to ensure that all nursing home workers who engage in any form of abuse are held accountable.
To speak privately with one of our lawyers, contact us at (702) 505-8115 today. We will listen to your story and help you learn how you can file a nursing home abuse lawsuit.
Benefits of Working with a Las Vegas Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
In many cases, it can be difficult to prove that nursing home neglect or abuse is occurring. This is especially true among those who suffer from dementia or other mental health disorders, as the signs of nursing home neglect and abuse often mimic symptoms of these conditions. This can make it very difficult for a victim or his or her family members to speak up.
If you suspect that something may not be right at your loved one’s nursing home or long-term care facility, it is important to turn to an experienced and qualified Las Vegas nursing home abuse lawyer who can thoroughly investigate the situation and help determine what is really going on. At Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, we use cutting-edge technologies and strategies to dig deep beneath the surface to find out exactly what is happening.
Some of the benefits of working with our attorneys include:
- Access to a team of medical and administrative experts who can help conduct a thorough investigation of any key evidence regarding a facility’s management
- Experience in knowing what to look for when looking at signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse and neglect
- Compassionate, yet aggressive legal counsel and representation tailored to your unique situation, needs, and goals
Our team can build a strong case on your behalf or on behalf of your loved one and seek the maximum compensation you are owed for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other significant losses and/or harm.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Sadly, nursing home abuse occurs every day. While many people think of nursing home abuse as being only physical in nature, there are actually many different types of abuse and neglect.
Different types of nursing home abuse include:
- Physical Elder Abuse: Physical abuse involves use of physical force that may result in bodily injuries, impairments, and pain.
- Emotional Elder Abuse: Emotional abuse may involve verbal assaults, threats, insults, isolating or ignoring a nursing home resident, harassment, intimidation, and humiliation.
- Sexual Abuse: Elder sexual abuse involves any unwanted sexual touching and/or harassment, including sexual assault, rape, and non-consensual touching.
- Negligence: Nursing home neglect occurs when a worker refuses or fails to provide adequate care for a resident. This typically involves failure to provide necessities including water, food, clothing, medication, personal hygiene, safety, and comfort.
- Abandonment: Abandonment typically occurs when a care provider deserts a person after agreeing to take care of them.
- Financial Exploitation: Financial exploitation involves the use of a nursing home resident’s funds, assets, or property. For instance, cashing a nursing home resident’s checks without permission, stealing a resident’s property or money, and coercing a resident into signing a will or other contracts are all forms of financial exploitation.
Signs of Nursing Home/Elder Abuse & Neglect
Because all forms of nursing home abuse may not be physical, some are harder to detect. However, if you begin to notice any behavior that is abnormal or out of character, you should start looking out for possible signs that abuse or neglect may be occurring.
Some of these signs may include:
- A sudden change in behavior
- Acting agitated or upset
- Acting withdrawn and unresponsive
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Poor personal hygiene
- Unsanitary living conditions
- The nursing home refusing to allow you to be alone with the resident
- Unexplained bruises, welts, lacerations, broken bones, and other injuries
- Falls and other accidents
- Untreated injuries or bedsores
- Unusual behavior usually attributed to dementia (rocking, biting, sucking, etc.)
It’s also important to look for signs of financial exploitation, such as unusual withdrawals from bank accounts, changes to a will or trust, changes to a power of attorney or healthcare directive, and more.
What Qualifies as Neglect in a Nevada Nursing Home?
Nursing home neglect is the failure to provide a resident with services essential to their health and safety, including food, shelter, clothing, supervision, and medical care. Any time a nursing home or long-term care facility fails to provide a level of care that you could reasonably expect another competent home would have provided, this is neglect. Caregivers and nursing homes owe residents a duty of care, and when they fail to provide this duty of care, they can be held legally liable.
Our Las Vegas nursing home lawyers can help determine whether these failures are intentional or careless, which will dictate how we present your case against a nursing home—either as negligent or abusive.
Why Does Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Happen?
Each nursing home neglect or abuse case is unique, but there are several common factors as to why these situations occur.
Some of the common causes of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Nursing homes hiring poorly qualified and inadequately trained staff
- An inadequate number of staff members for the number of residents
- Employing staff members with a history of violence/failing to conduct background checks
- Wrongful practices enacted by the nursing home/facility
What Happens When a Nevada Nursing Home Resident Reports Neglect or Abuse?
Each state has a system for reporting allegations of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of the elderly, as well as a separate process for investigating such allegations. The investigation will begin with an interview. The resident, his or her family members, and the nursing home staff and management will all be questioned regarding the alleged abuse or neglect. Adult protective services and the staff or management of the nursing home may try to remedy the complaints on their own. This, however, may not be an adequate resolution to the complaint.
If your loved one has suffered from neglect or abuse in a nursing home, contact our attorneys today to pursue a more comprehensive civil action for damages against the nursing home. We can answer your questions and address any concerns you may have.
Call Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith
If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, you should know that you have rights. For compassionate and highly-skilled legal representation, please contact our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys. We provide a completely free and confidential consultation, as well as contingency fees. This means that you do not have to pay any attorneys’ fees unless we are successful in your case. Our firm offers services in both English and Spanish and can travel to meet with you in your home or at the hospital if necessary.
Contact us online or call (702) 505-8115 to get started with your free initial consultation.
“Since day one of meeting Brett, I knew I was in good hands. Brett made sure to thoroughly explain and cover any/all question or concern that I had, and was able to ease my mind and get me an answer to the question/s I was seeking.”- Julie
“They were fast, caring, and always answered my questions and reassured me throughout the process. I highly recommend Lindsay Cullen as an attorney and the firm to represent you if you're seeking any legal guidance.”- Jay G.
“John Bertoldo spent hours with me explaining all legal matters and guiding me in this difficult time for me. The loyalty of this law firm was beyond my expectations. Great settlement and so happy with results!”- Mahir S.
Comprehensive Legal Guidance
Our attorneys will handle each aspect of your case, including securing short and long-term medical care, helping to recover lost wages and more.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.
Proven Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.
Committed to the Community
We are proud to support a number of charitable organizations as a way to give back to the community we are honored to serve.
Legacy of Client Satisfaction
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.