Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyers
Truck Accidents in Nevada
At Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, we know that semi-truck transit is an important element of Nevada commerce and growth. Our Las Vegas truck accident lawyers also understand how dangerous these large, cargo-carrying vehicles can be to passenger vehicles that share the roadways with them.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, are caring for a family member who has, or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, our firm can help you pursue the financial recovery you deserve. We know just how devastating these accidents are, which is why we work tirelessly to defend the rights of accident victims. Our aggressive approach to negotiation and litigation has allowed us to secure millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. We are ready to fight for you, too. If you are unable to travel to our office, we can meet you in the hospital or at your home. There are no attorneys’ fees when you work with our firm unless we are successful in recovering compensation for you.
Representing Severely Injured Victims & Their Families
To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us at (702) 505-8115 or contact us online today.
Truck Accident Statistics
According to the Federal Highway Administration, there are more than 11 million semi-trucks registered in the country. Last year, those trucks transported 73% of all cargo transported throughout the country, accounting for 14,547 million tons of freight.
Additionally, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration recorded that, last year:
- Nearly 111,000 injuries resulted from semi-truck crashes, a 17% increase from the previous year
- 4,050 fatalities resulted from semi-truck crashes, an 8% increase from the previous year
- 342,000 accidents involving property damage occurred
Additionally, statistics consistently show that occupants of other vehicles are far more likely to be injured or killed in truck collisions.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, of the people killed in large semi-truck accidents:
- 73% were occupants of other vehicles
- 10% were non-occupants, including bicyclists, pedestrians, and bystanders
The NHTSA also reports that large trucks, on average, are responsible for 8.3% of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes.
Errors Result in Injuries and Fatalities
Drug use, truck driver fatigue, inattention, aggressive driving, and following too closely are examples of truck driver errors that may result in severe injuries and fatalities, more often among the drivers of smaller vehicles in the collisions than among the drivers of large (over 10,000-pound) trucks.
Many types of truck driver errors are studied by traffic safety experts. In a 2005 study by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the following are the major contributing factors to truck driver errors:
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliar with roadway
- Over-the-counter drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
- Under work-related pressure
- Illegal maneuver
- External distraction factors
- Inadequate evasive action
- Aggressive driving behavior (tailgating, weaving, other)
- Unfamiliar with vehicle
- Following too closely
- False assumption of other road users’ actions
Semi-Truck Tires are Prone to Blowouts
Tire blowouts are one of the most devastating defects a commercial truck can experience. Even though 18-wheelers have so many wheels, losing just one tire so abruptly can make the truck driver lose complete control of the vehicle and cause a crash.
Contributing factors to tire blowouts include:
- Inflation issues: Tires that have not been inflated enough are misshapen and can tear while in transit. Tires that have been overinflated are more likely to burst when nicked or when traveling quickly across bumps.
- Debris: Loose debris in the road is a hazard for all drivers and their tires. Truck drivers sometimes assume their larger vehicles can coast right over debris without an issue, but this is not true. Hitting even a small piece of wood, concrete, plastic, etc. can dig into a tire and burst it.
- Overloaded trailers: An overloaded trailer puts an excessive amount of weight on the tires and brakes of a big rig. The heavier the truck, the more force is needed to bring it to a complete stop, which involves the tires experiencing more friction when grinding against asphalt. As time goes on, the treading will wear away until it fails.
- Speeding: Similar to overloaded trailers contributing to truck tire blowouts, speeding does, too. The faster a truck travels, the more stress it puts on the tire while it is in motion and while it is braking. Specifically, a truck traveling at 75 miles per hour puts an inordinately high amount of stress on the tires, making it far more likely to rip and suffer a blowout.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
At Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, we have decades of experience in representing personal injury victims whose lives have been disrupted by devastating 18-wheeler accidents.
The most common truck accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Crushed or broken bones
- Joint, ligament, and muscle damage
- Internal bleeding
- Neck and spine injuries
- Organ damage
Semi-trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, making a passenger vehicle no match for its size and force. When truck accidents occur in Las Vegas, our experienced lawyers want to help you hold the negligent person or party accountable for their reckless or wrongful behavior.
Depending on the severity of your injuries, your need for medical care and the time you spend away from work can last weeks, months, or even a lifetime. Recovering the total expenses related to your injuries without an accomplished truck accident lawyer by your side will be difficult, if not impossible. Do not let the insurance company take advantage of you! Allow our experienced attorneys to help speed up the recovery process and pursue results on your behalf.
How a Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
Your injuries are evidence. If you have been hurt in a truck accident, someone is responsible for your well-being going forward, and our partnerships with industry professionals will help us thoroughly build your case.
Our firm employs a skilled team of:
- Accident inspection experts
- Automotive engineers and technology experts
- Forensic accident reconstruction professionals
- Law enforcement officials
- Medical professionals
- Private and public compliance officials
- Traffic concentration and flow technicians
Together with these experts, our attorneys can uncover the full extent of your injuries and associated damages. From there, we can aggressively negotiate a settlement that is intended to cover you for all of your current and ongoing costs. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are ready to take your case to trial.
Working to Uncover the Full Extent of Your Injuries & Damages
Our truck accident attorneys work with our clients to ensure their injuries are fully accounted for; we do this by partnering with a team of physicians and medical experts to assess the full extent of our clients’ injuries. This allows us to then build comprehensive personal injury cases that cover all of our clients’ damages, including current and future medical costs and related expenses.
If you are hurt in a truck accident in Las Vegas and do not have health insurance, you are likely worried about the type of medical care you will be able to receive, as well as how you will be able to pay for that care. Our experienced truck accident lawyers can provide the legal advice you need to get the medical care you deserve. Your injuries should never go untreated—our truck accident lawyers will provide the representation you need to recuperate all of your medical costs, starting from the time of the collision through your entire recovery.
Who Is Liable for Truck Accidents?
This is a complicated issue, which is why having a skilled truck accident attorney by your side is so important. There are several factors that can lead to a truck accident and, in most cases, only a legal professional can investigate the cause thoroughly to determine who is at fault for the accident.
Some of the leading causes of truck accidents include:
Truck driver negligence, such as:
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while intoxicated/under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fatigued driving/falling asleep at the wheel
- General carelessness
- Traffic law violations
Negligent trucking company practices, such as:
- Encouraging drivers to forge hours-of-service logs
- Overloading trucks/loading cargo improperly
- Pressuring drivers to meet unrealistic timelines/quotas
- Failing to conduct background checks on new hire
- Failing to provide adequate training
- Improper and/or negligent supervision
- Failing to perform alcohol/drug testing
Defective truck parts, including:
- Braking systems
- Reflective strips/lights
- Brake lights
Third-party negligence, such as:
- Another motorist behaving careless or recklessly
- Defective road design or construction
This is not an exhaustive list. As you can see, proving what happened can be extremely difficult, as can proving who is legally liable. However, each of these factors will be explored by our truck accident attorneys to ensure each party is investigated thoroughly. This allows us to hold all liable parties responsible for their role in the crash.
Compensation in Truck Accident Cases
All truck accident cases differ, as do the medical needs and financial recovery costs of each victim. That being said, many truck accident victims find that they are able to recover certain damages.
These damages often include:
- Immediate and short- and long-term medical care
- Lost wages, from the time of the accident through your recovery
- Miscellaneous expenses and costs resulting from your injuries
- Partial or full disability needs
- Property damage and replacement
- Short- and long-term disability needs
- Pain and suffering
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas?
At Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, we take each truck accident case—and all personal injury cases—without any upfront costs. We work on a contingency basis, which means if we do not win your case, you do not pay us anything.
Reach out to our accomplished attorneys today to schedule a free consultation. Allow us to explore the facts of your case and provide the legal representation you need to move forward.
Call Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith at (702) 505-8115 or contact us online today.
- Darkness A Factor In Early-Morning Truck Accident?
- Who Is Liable After A Commercial Truck Collision In Las Vegas?
- Commercial Truck Collisions Require Experienced Legal Representation
- How Driver Fatigue Can Lead To Truck Accidents
- Clark County Jury Awards $14.1 Million In Fatal Truck Accident
- Overloaded Trucks in Las Vegas
- Unsafe Trucks from Mexico Allowed in Nevada
- Las Vegas Semi-Truck Accidents Lawyers
- Driver in Critical Condition after Frito-Lay Truck Crash
“Since day one of meeting Brett, I knew I was in good hands. Brett made sure to thoroughly explain and cover any/all question or concern that I had, and was able to ease my mind and get me an answer to the question/s I was seeking.”- Julie
“John Bertoldo spent hours with me explaining all legal matters and guiding me in this difficult time for me. The loyalty of this law firm was beyond my expectations. Great settlement and so happy with results!”- Mahir S.
“They made everything so seamless and easy for me and were always available for questions or reassurance. This law firm clearly not only cares about what they do, but the clients they do it for. Thank you, Javier and the whole team!”- Aimee W.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.
Comprehensive Legal Guidance
Our attorneys will handle each aspect of your case, including securing short and long-term medical care, helping to recover lost wages and more.
Proven Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
Legacy of Client Satisfaction
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.
Committed to the Community
We are proud to support a number of charitable organizations as a way to give back to the community we are honored to serve.