Jim Sweetin earned his undergraduate degree in business administration and accounting from UNLV before going on to receive his Juris Doctor from Gonzaga School of Law in 1993. He subsequently joined the Clark County District Attorney’s Office where he worked for 28 years. Over those years he spent virtually every day in a courtroom and sought justice for countless victims. Known as one of Clark County’s most zealous advocates for the protection of victims, Jim co-founded and serves as Chairman of both the Southern Nevada Children’s Advocacy Center and the Southern Nevada Sexual Assault Review Team. To this end, Jim successfully completed more than 100 jury trials. He was the Chief Deputy District Attorney in charge of the Special Victim’s Unit, which prosecutes the most serious of criminal offenses committed in Clark County, for over 13 years.
After leaving the District Attorney’s Office, Jim joined Bertoldo Carter Smith & Cullen where he continues to fight for victims. His goal is to even the playing field between ordinary people who have been wronged and large insurance companies or corporations who employ attorneys charged with minimizing responsibility or compensation for those wrongs. Jim owes his success in the law to meticulously building a case, always seeking to work harder than the other side, and never losing site of what is most important in any lawsuit - the harm or damage caused to a victim. Jim is most comfortable in the courtroom and anxious to proceed there if a wrongdoer fails to accept responsibility and adequately compensate a victim.
In his free time, Jim enjoys spending time with his wife, keeping up with his five children and five grandchildren, church activities, marathon running, mountain biking and off-roading.
- Head of the Special Victims Unit (SVU) since 2008
- Founding Member, Clark County Prosecutors Association
- Co-Founder, Southern Nevada Children’s Advocacy Center
- Co-Founder, Southern Nevada Sexual Assault Review Team
- Co-Founder, Clark County Sex Trafficking Unit
- Co-Founder, Project Safe Child
- Member, Nevada Human Trafficking Task Force
- Former Nevada Gaming Control Board Agent
- Certified Public Accountant
- More than 100 Jury Trials as a Prosecutor
- 45 Year Resident of Clark County
- 25 Years as a Clark County Deputy D.A.