Las Vegas Anesthesia Error Lawyers
When patients undergo a surgical procedure, they are offered one of three types of anesthesia: local, regional, or general.
Local anesthesia is the safest and is applied at the source of the injury to reduce the pain or sensations the patient may feel during the procedure. This is common for stitches and other minor medical problems that require care.
Regional anesthesia is applied to a specific part of the body to make it numb, to relieve pain, or allow surgical procedures to move forward.
General anesthesia is a combination of medications that place the patient in a sleep-like state before surgery or another major medical procedure.
When someone considers their surgical options, one of the greatest concerns is an error in anesthesia occurring that causes them to feel pain, become significantly harmed, wake up during surgery, or even die during a procedure.
Controlling the patient’s anesthesia properly is as important as or perhaps more important than doing the surgery correctly. When an anesthesiology error occurs, the results can be devastating.
What Are the Most Common Types of Anesthesia Errors?
An anesthesiologist or another member of the hospital personnel can cause serious errors during any part of the surgical preparation or procedure. If a patient is seriously harmed by any of these mistakes, a case may be made for medical malpractice.
These errors include:
- Inattention or failure to always monitor the patient
- Not instructing the patient on when to stop eating or drinking any fluids a certain number of hours before surgery
- Failing to review restrictions with the patient immediately before surgery
- Failing to maintain proper oxygen levels during the surgery
- Giving the patient an anesthetic that causes a serious allergic reaction
- Keeping the patient under anesthesia for too long
- Not keeping the patient under anesthesia long enough or not giving enough anesthesia, causing the patient to wake up, feel pain, or not be able to move or talk
- Not recognizing complications when they occur
- Broken equipment
- Errors made during intubation (inserting a tube into the patient’s mouth and down through the windpipe to assist in breathing)
- Encountering interactions between a patient’s medication and anesthesia
What Are the Major Consequences of Anesthesia Errors?
Anesthesia errors will affect each patient differently, and the consequences can range from short-term to long-term injuries.
They can include:
- Brain damage from lack of oxygen
- Trachea (windpipe) damage from improper intubation
- Damage to the heart or vascular system
- Harm to a child being born or birth injuries
- Spinal cord injury because of injection mistakes during delivery of the anesthesia
The job of the anesthesiologist is as critical to the patient’s health as the job of the other members of the surgical team. Mistakes can have serious, even fatal, consequences.
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured by mistakes made by the anesthesiologist, you should contact our Las Vegas medical malpractice lawyer right away.
We can help you recover financially from the damages you have suffered, beginning with a free consultation by calling (702) 505-8115 to speak with our Las Vegas medical malpractice attorneys at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith today.
Medical Malpractice Cases Include:
- Birth Injuries
- Doctor & Nurse Negligence
- Emergency Room Negligence
- Nursing Home Negligence & Abuse
- Surgical Errors
- Cancer Misdiagnosis
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
- Failure to Treat
- Hospital Infections
- Medication Errors
- Robotic Surgery Machine Infection
- Emergency Care at UMC in Las Vegas
- Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center in Las Vegas
- Know The Facts: Emergency Room Negligence Is Medical Malpractice
- Understanding Medical Malpractice And When You Might Have A Legal Claim
- Important Requirements When Filing Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
- Stem Cell Clinics Involved In Medical Malpractice Claims
- New Study Reveals Anesthesia-Related Medical Malpractice Claims On The Decline
“Lawrence Smith is a Godsend! He's a good man. Very nice & professional.”- Aaliyah R.
“John Bertoldo made us feel very at ease about the situation... They truly care about their clients and making them feel at ease through the entire process. Overall I think the process has been exceptional.”- Pete
“I highly recommend Steve Baker and the entire team. Thank you again for always answering all of our questions and being so easy to work with, something I have not experienced with other firms here in town.”- Steven P.
Legacy of Client Satisfaction
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.
Comprehensive Legal Guidance
Our attorneys will handle each aspect of your case, including securing short and long-term medical care, helping to recover lost wages and more.
Proven Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
Committed to the Community
We are proud to support a number of charitable organizations as a way to give back to the community we are honored to serve.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.