Henderson Premises Liability Lawyers
Ready to Hold Negligent Property Owners in Henderson Accountable
When you or a loved one suffers an injury on someone else's property due to hazardous conditions or negligence, it's essential to seek legal representation to protect your rights and pursue fair compensation. In Henderson, our experienced legal team at Bertoldo Carter Smith & Cullen is your trusted partner in premises liability cases. Our experienced attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of Nevada's premises liability laws, and we are dedicated to helping you navigate the legal process while fighting for the justice you deserve.
What is Premises Liability?
Premises liability is a legal concept that holds property owners responsible for injuries that occur on their property due to dangerous conditions or negligent actions.
To succeed in a premises liability claim, you must prove the following elements:
- Duty of Care: Property owners have a legal duty to maintain safe premises and protect visitors from foreseeable harm.
- Breach of Duty: The property owner or occupier must have failed to meet their duty of care through negligent actions or omissions.
- Causation: You must establish a direct connection between the property owner's breach of duty and your injuries.
- Damages: Demonstrating the extent of your physical, emotional, and financial damages is crucial to receiving compensation.
Common Types of Premises Liability Cases
Premises liability cases can encompass a wide range of situations where individuals are injured while on another person's property due to hazardous conditions or negligence on the part of the property owner or occupier. These cases are typically based on the legal principle that property owners have a duty of care to ensure their premises are reasonably safe for visitors.
Here are some common types of premises liability cases:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Slip and fall cases are among the most common premises liability claims. They occur when someone slips, trips, or falls on a property due to a hazardous condition, such as a wet floor, ice or snow, uneven surfaces, or debris. Property owners or occupiers are responsible for maintaining safe walking areas and providing proper warnings, like "wet floor" signs.
- Trip and Fall Accidents: Trip and fall accidents are similar to slip and fall accidents but typically involve tripping over an object or hazard on the property, such as loose flooring, uneven sidewalks, or obstructions in walkways.
- Inadequate Maintenance: Property owners have a duty to maintain their premises to ensure they are safe for visitors. Inadequate maintenance can lead to dangerous conditions like broken stairs, malfunctioning elevators, or faulty handrails. In such cases, the property owner may be held liable for any resulting injuries.
- Dog Bites: In many states, including Nevada, dog owners can be held liable for injuries caused by their dogs. If a dog bites or attacks a person while on the owner's property or in a public place, the owner may be responsible for medical expenses and other damages.
- Inadequate Security: Property owners, especially those operating businesses or managing high-risk areas, have a responsibility to provide adequate security measures to protect visitors from foreseeable criminal acts. If a lack of security measures results in a visitor being injured in a crime, the property owner may be liable.
- Inadequate Lighting: Poorly lit areas can create unsafe conditions, making it easier for accidents and criminal activities to occur. Property owners must ensure that lighting is sufficient to maintain a reasonable level of safety, especially in parking lots, stairwells, and common areas.
- Falling Objects: Property owners have a duty to secure objects that could fall and injure visitors. This includes items on store shelves, equipment in construction sites, or decorations in public places. If an object falls and causes injury due to negligence, the property owner may be held accountable.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: Accidents at swimming pools can lead to premises liability claims. Property owners must maintain pools in a safe condition, provide proper fencing and warning signs, and ensure the presence of lifeguards when necessary.
- Toxic Exposure: Exposure to hazardous substances like mold, lead paint, or chemicals can lead to premises liability claims. Property owners must address and remediate these issues to protect visitors' health.
- Retail Store Incidents: Retailers can be held liable for injuries caused by dangerous conditions within their stores, such as spilled liquids, improperly placed merchandise, or cluttered aisles. Slip and fall accidents are particularly common in retail settings.
- Amusement Park Accidents: Amusement parks are fun places for families, but they also carry risks. Premises liability claims can arise from accidents on rides or in the park due to inadequate maintenance or safety measures.
Steps to Take After a Premises Liability Incident
If you've been injured on someone else's property, it's crucial to take the following steps to protect your rights and build a strong premises liability case:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health should be your top priority. Get the necessary medical treatment and keep records of all medical expenses.
- Document the Scene: Take photos or videos of the hazardous condition or the location where the incident occurred. Collect contact information from any witnesses.
- Report the Incident: Inform the property owner or manager about the incident and request a written incident report.
- Preserve Evidence: Save any clothing or objects damaged during the incident. Keep all medical records, bills, and correspondence related to your case.
- Consult an Attorney: Reach out to a qualified premises liability lawyer in Henderson, NV, like Bertoldo Carter Smith & Cullen, to discuss your case. We can help you understand your rights and guide you through the legal process.
“I was involved in two car accidents within a year. They made everything so seamless and easy for me and were always available for questions or reassurance. This law firm clearly not only cares about what they do, but the clients they do it for. Thank you, ”- Aimee W.
“John Bertoldo spent hours with me explaining all legal matters and guiding me in this difficult time for me. The loyalty of this law firm was beyond my expectations. Great settlement and so happy with results!”- Mahir S.
“Lawrence Smith is a Godsend! He's a good man. Very nice & professional.”- Aaliyah R.
Comprehensive Legal Guidance
Our attorneys will handle each aspect of your case, including securing short and long-term medical care, helping to recover lost wages and more.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.
Proven Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.
Legacy of Client Satisfaction
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.
Committed to the Community
We are proud to support a number of charitable organizations as a way to give back to the community we are honored to serve.