Boulder City Wrongful Death Lawyers
Committed to Seeking Justice for Wrongful Death Cases
At Bertoldo Carter Smith & Cullen, we understand that losing a loved one due to someone else's negligence or misconduct is a devastating experience. The pain and emotional turmoil can be overwhelming, and seeking justice may feel like an insurmountable task. If you have lost a family member in Boulder City because of the negligent actions of someone else, our experienced legal team is here to provide you with the compassionate support and expert legal guidance you need during this difficult time.
Understanding Wrongful Death Claims in Nevada
Under Nevada law, a wrongful death claim arises when a person's death is caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions of another party. These claims can arise from various situations, including but not limited to:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: If your loved one was killed in a car, truck, motorcycle, or pedestrian accident caused by another driver's negligence, you may have a wrongful death claim.
- Medical Malpractice: When medical professionals fail to provide the standard level of care, resulting in the death of a patient, surviving family members may pursue a wrongful death claim.
- Workplace Accidents: If a loved one died as a result of a workplace accident caused by employer negligence or unsafe working conditions, you may be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death claim.
- Defective Products: If a defective product caused the death of your family member, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer.
- Premises Liability: Property owners have a responsibility to maintain safe premises. If your loved one died due to hazardous conditions on someone else's property, you may have a wrongful death claim.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Nevada?
In Nevada, a wrongful death claim can be filed by specific individuals who are recognized as "real parties in interest." The order of priority for filing a wrongful death claim is as follows:
- The personal representative of the deceased person's estate: This is typically an individual appointed by the court to represent the estate of the deceased. If there is a will, the personal representative is usually the executor named in the will. If there is no will or executor named, the court may appoint a personal representative.
- Surviving spouse: The surviving spouse of the deceased person has the right to file a wrongful death claim if there is no personal representative appointed or if the personal representative does not file a claim within six months of the death.
- Surviving children: If there is no surviving spouse or if the surviving spouse does not file a claim within six months, the surviving children of the deceased person can file a wrongful death claim.
- Parents: If there are no surviving spouse or children, the parents of the deceased person may file a wrongful death claim.
- Other next of kin: If none of the above individuals exist, other next of kin, such as siblings or grandparents, may have the right to file a wrongful death claim.
Damages in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In Nevada, the potential damages that can be awarded in a wrongful death lawsuit are intended to compensate the surviving family members for the losses they have suffered as a result of the death of their loved one. The types of damages that may be awarded include:
- Economic Damages: These are quantifiable monetary losses that have resulted from the death. They may include medical expenses incurred prior to the death, funeral and burial expenses, lost wages and benefits that the deceased would have earned, loss of future financial support, and any other financial contributions the deceased would have made.
- Non-Economic Damages: These are subjective losses that are not easily quantifiable in monetary terms. They may include pain and suffering experienced by the deceased before death, loss of companionship, loss of consortium (loss of a spousal relationship), loss of guidance and support, and emotional distress suffered by the surviving family members.
- Punitive Damages: In certain cases, if the defendant's conduct was particularly egregious or malicious, punitive damages may be awarded. These damages are intended to punish the defendant and deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
Ready to Help You & Your Family Through This Difficult Time
Losing a loved one is an incredibly painful experience, and the legal process can seem overwhelming. At Bertoldo Carter Smith & Cullen, we are committed to providing you with compassionate guidance and support throughout your wrongful death claim. We will explain your rights, answer your questions, and keep you informed at every stage of the legal proceedings.
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
NO FEES UNTIL WE WIN!
“The kindness and compassion they showed during my case was amazing! They always made me feel like a member of their family and not just a client.”- Ryan W.
“I was involved in two car accidents within a year. They made everything so seamless and easy for me and were always available for questions or reassurance. This law firm clearly not only cares about what they do, but the clients they do it for. Thank you, ”- Aimee W.
“John Bertoldo made us feel very at ease about the situation... They truly care about their clients and making them feel at ease through the entire process. Overall I think the process has been exceptional.”- Pete S.
“They were fast, caring, and always answered my questions and reassured me throughout the process. I highly recommend Lindsay Cullen as an attorney and the firm to represent you if you're seeking any legal guidance.”- Jay G.
“Lawrence Smith is a Godsend! He's a good man. Very nice & professional.”- Aaliyah R.
“Since day one of meeting Brett, I knew I was in good hands. Brett made sure to thoroughly explain and cover any/all question or concern that I had, and was able to ease my mind and get me an answer to the question/s I was seeking.”- Julie M.
“I highly recommend Steve Baker and the entire team. Thank you again for always answering all of our questions and being so easy to work with, something I have not experienced with other firms here in town.”- Steven P.
“Thank you all so much for all the hard work you put into my case. All of you mean the world to me and I am thankful to have received the most quality help from the BBC&S team. Thanks again and I miss you all!”- Sierra S. P.
$100 Million Product Defect and Fatality from Helicopter Crash
$30 Million Fatality/Burn Disfigurement from Helicopter Crash
$19.5 Million Brain Damage from Motor Vehicle Accident
$18.5 Million Wrongful Death from Aircraft Accident
$16 Million Motor Vehicle Accident, Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
$12 Million Negligence Security leading to Sexual Assault
$10.8 Million Brain Injury, Premises Liability
$10 Million Brain Injury, Premises Liability