Knowing the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
When we place our elderly loved ones in a nursing home, we put our trust in the staff to take care of them and to treat them with the respect and love they would give to their own families. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. If your loved one is under the care of a nursing home, there are certain things you can do to make sure he or she is being taken care of:
- Visit often and at different times of the day so the staff doesn’t know you’re schedule.
- Pay attention to the way the staff interacts with your loved one while you are there.
- Keep an eye out for signs of mistreatment such as unexplained weight loss, dirty clothes or sheets, uncombed hair, bed sores or unexplained bruises.
- Pay attention to changes in your loved one’s behavior. Is he or she less talkative? Does he or she turn away visitors or act scared? Is he or she heavily medicated?
- Keep an eye on the staff’s behavior. Are they reluctant to leave you alone with your loved one? Are they frequently stopping by the room to check in? Do they seem suspicious?
- Pay attention to how the staff treats other patients at the facility. Do they ignore patients that are calling for help? Do they yell or talk down to the patients?
If you have a feeling that something is wrong and you suspect that your loved one is being mistreated, you should contact an attorney right away. An attorney with experience in nursing home abuse cases will listen to your concerns and will investigate to determine if your suspicions are correct.
At the law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, we do not take nursing home abuse lightly. We serve as advocates for patients and their families and will do everything we can to expose wrongdoing and to get you and your loved one the maximum amount of compensation possible. To speak with a Las Vegas nursing home abuse lawyer about a possible claim, contact us today.
Increased Studies Reveal Prevalence in Nursing Home Abuse
Nevada Fails To Comply With Child Abuse Laws
Nursing Home Neglect Lawsuits
Las Vegas Psych Hospital Accused of Negligence
Tips To Avoid Holiday Accidents Caused By Negligence
Deadly Hang Gliding Holiday Accident Investigated For Negligence