Nursing Home Falls Lawyers in Las Vegas
Falling is a frequent and repeated problem for many nursing home residents, especially when their movements are not being monitored properly by the facility’s staff.
When compared by age, residents of nursing homes fall more often than residents who remain in the community. The percentage of adults 65 and older who live in nursing homes in the U.S. is just over 5%, yet residents of nursing homes account for approximately 20% of all falls among that age group.
Part of this is due to nursing home residents being frailer than people of the same age who live in the community. Other falls are caused by the lack of care provided by the staff.
If your loved one suffered a fall in a Las Vegas nursing home, our committed elder abuse attorneys will thoroughly investigate your case and provide the representation you need to hold the facility accountable.
Falls Among the Elderly Are Common in Las Vegas
As we begin to age, our bodies become less sturdy and falls become more common – inside and outside of nursing homes.
National statistics for falls among the elderly include:
- One in three adults older than 65 falls every year
- Among the 65 and older age group, falls are the leading cause of death
- Falls in this group are also the leading cause of nonfatal injuries and hospital admissions due to trauma
- 29 million nonfatal injuries from falls occur in those over 65 each year
- Severe injuries, such as hip fractures and head trauma in this age group can increase the risk of early death
- The direct medical cost of falls in older adults last year was $50 billion, accounting for 6% of all Medicare payments
- Between 20-30% of falls cause moderate to severe injuries that make it more difficult to move around independently and increase the chances of early death
- 50-75% of nursing home residents fall annually; Twice the number of falls among the elderly living in the community
- Falling is the leading cause of traumatic brain injury among older adults
What Are the Most Common Causes of Nursing Home Falls in Las Vegas?
As our loved ones continue to age, falls are one of the largest concerns of their well-being. Often, falls are the catalyst for moving our loved ones into a nursing home or assisted living facility, to ensure they are always supervised.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case.
Falls among nursing home residents can result from a combination of factors, which can include:
- Too few staff members to monitor all patients
- Frailty of the residents and lack of muscle strength
- Medications that sedate residents
- Medications that cause dizziness
- Beds that are too high
- Wet or slippery floors
- Lack of grab bars in hallways and bathrooms
- Low blood pressure leading to dizziness when rising from a sitting or reclining position
- Poor lighting in hallways
- Clutter in resident’s rooms or hallways
- Difficulty seeing
- Poor footwear
- Incorrect use of walking aids
- Poor wheelchair upkeep
Las Vegas Nursing Home Facility Evaluations
Some facilities use post-fall evaluations of patients to understand what caused their falls and how to prevent them going forward. These assessments and follow-up remediation can help avoid many falls in the future.
Some plans to evaluate and prevent falling can include:
- Timely evaluations after a fall
- Staff education
- Exercise programs
- Reviews of drug regimens
- Providing hip protectors
The concentration of the elderly in one place increases the statistical risk of falling and the need for heightened awareness among caregivers. Falling is a serious problem among the elderly and especially residents of nursing homes. If your loved one has been injured by a fall in a Las Vegas nursing home, our elderly abuse attorneys can help.
Contact Our Las Vegas Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers for a Free Consultation
If your loved one had a serious fall and was consequently injured in a nursing home, it is important to investigate the reason for the fall. If the facility or its employees are responsible, contact our personal injury lawyers today to understand your rights and if your loved one can be compensated for their injuries.
Our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter, Smith & Cullen represent nursing home residents and families throughout Nevada. To find out if and how we can help you, contact us today at (702) 505-8115.
Nursing Home Abuse Resources:
- Bed Sores
- Changes in Behavior
- Medication Mistakes
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Poor Hygiene
- Nursing Home Abuse Signs
“They made everything so seamless and easy for me and were always available for questions or reassurance. This law firm clearly not only cares about what they do, but the clients they do it for. Thank you, Javier and the whole team!”- Aimee W.
“I highly recommend Steve Baker and the entire team. Thank you again for always answering all of our questions and being so easy to work with, something I have not experienced with other firms here in town.”- Steven P.
“Since day one of meeting Brett, I knew I was in good hands. Brett made sure to thoroughly explain and cover any/all question or concern that I had, and was able to ease my mind and get me an answer to the question/s I was seeking.”- Julie M.
Legacy of Client Satisfaction
Word-of-mouth referrals and repeat clients account for more than 85% of our business, which is a testament to the level of service we provide.
Comprehensive Legal Guidance
Our attorneys will handle each aspect of your case, including securing short and long-term medical care, helping to recover lost wages and more.
Committed to the Community
We are proud to support a number of charitable organizations as a way to give back to the community we are honored to serve.
Proven Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients throughout the state of Nevada.
Experience You Can Trust
Our attorneys, paralegals and support staff leverage decades of experience across a diverse range of backgrounds on behalf of our clients.
We strive to treat our clients with integrity, compassion, and respect and provide them with clear communication every step of the way.