The Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents happen every day and result in property damage, bodily injury, and even death. An injured victim may have to live with those injuries for the rest of his or her life.
Just this summer, two landscaping trucks with trailers collided near the 215 Beltway at Summerlin Parkway. One man was killed when his vehicle slid down a rock slope off the highway and caught fire. The other occupants in both vehicles were brought to the hospital and sustained injuries.
Car crashes can be caused in a variety of ways. When asked about this, most people will blame car wrecks on drunk or drugged drivers or on distracted driving, usually involving cell phone use.
What are the most common causes of an auto accident?
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Poor weather conditions, such as rain, ice, snow, or fog
- Failing to obey traffic signals, such as running a red light or a stop sign
- Driving at night, due to poor visibility
- Design defects in the motor vehicle
- Failure to obey traffic safety rules such as changing lanes unsafely, turning improperly, and driving the wrong way down a one-way street
- Following another car too closely, or tailgating
- Road rage
- Poorly maintained roads, resulting in hazards such as potholes
- Driving while fatigued
- Animals in roadway
Unfortunately, some of the above are more deadly than others. For example, texting while driving has been found to have the same effect on a driver as driving drunk. This means that if a driver is using his or her cell phone while driving, it is the same as drinking four beers before getting behind the wheel.
Accidents that result from hazardous weather conditions can often be prevented, especially if a driver slows down or pulls over until the weather condition passes.
However, not every driver takes the right safety precautions when driving which leaves those sharing the road with them in harm’s way.
If you, or a loved one, have been in a car accident and believe the other driver involved was at fault, you may be entitled to compensation. Consulting with a Las Vegas car accident attorney, like ours at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, can help you regain peace of mind and get on the road to restoring your quality of life.