- What are you currently doing: Right now, I’m a junior in the finance program at Brigham Young University. I also work as a data scientist at a social media analytics company and as an associate at a $30M student-run venture capital fund. I spend some of my free time practicing the piano, playing soccer and teaching my local Sunday School class.
- Future plans: During the Summer 2018, I’ll be living in New York as an investment banking analyst with Goldman Sachs, where I hope to work after graduation. Long term, if I don’t end up staying in banking, I’d love to go work for the Federal Reserve and study and influence U.S. monetary policy.
- College you attend: Brigham Young University – Provo
- Your Major: Finance
- Any activities you are involved in: I serve as a Vice President over Underclassmen for the Investment Banking Club, serve actively in my church, play a lot of Debussy and Ben Folds on the piano and hold the title of reigning foosball champion in my apartment.
- This award allowed me to: think critically. When I received the scholarship essay prompt from BBC&S four years ago, I made instant conclusions that turned out to be completely wrong. It was only after hours of research, discussions with professionals and personal reflection that I was able to craft an informed and correct thesis. I haven’t gone into law, but every day I use the critical reasoning skills that I developed while competing for this award to assess problems, incentives and policies.
- Favorite quote: “If you take it hard on yourself, you make things easy for yourself. And if you take it easy on yourself, you make things hard for yourself.” – Dean Robinson