SWIMMING POOL ACCIDENT AND INJURY LAWYERS IN LAS VEGAS
Because of our warm climate, and a seemingly endless number of opportunities to swim to gain relief from the heat, Las Vegas swimming pool accidents are common.
Swimming pool accidents occur in more than homes, but in hotels, casinos and resorts, and public swimming pools and aquatic centers throughout the state. Swimming accidents often result largely from drowning, but can also include slips and falls, head injuries, and severe personal injuries that leave our residents’ lives changed forever.
If you or your loved one is hurt in a swimming pool accident, our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys can help you hold the negligent party who is responsible for their injuries accountable by pursuing the best financial recovery available for your unique case.
SWIMMING POOL ACCIDENT STATISTICS
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drowning is the leading cause of unintentional injury deaths.
Nationally, about ten people die each day from drowning, and approximately two of those deaths are children aged four and younger.
Others who account for high rates of drowning in the country are:
- Males account for 80% of fatal drownings
- African American death rates from drowning are 9% greater than the rest of the population
- Among children between five and 14 years old, drowning deaths in African Americans was 116% higher than the rest of the population
- Over half of non-fatal drowning victims who are treated in emergency departments need additional hospital care compared to the 6% hospitalization rate for all unintentional injuries
The hazards associated with swimming pools can also affect seasoned swimmers when negligence plays a role in their maintenance. Vents and drainage systems can injure or trap any swimmer, no matter their strength. Faulty covers can allow small children to fall through and become trapped underwater. Wiring complications, lighting systems, and even worn and weathered pool furniture all become safety factors when they are not properly maintained.
When they do, people get severely injured and some lose their lives.
Sadly, those who suffer near-drowning accidents may have lifelong injuries that require long-term care, including:
- Serious brain damage that can result in memory problems and learning disabilities
- Permanent loss of function including paralysis or persistent vegetative state
If you have been injured in a Las Vegas swimming pool accident, or have tragically lost a loved one who drowned, our personal injury attorneys want to help you seek justice in the form of financial recovery.
HOW CAN SWIMMING POOL OWNERS PREVENT DROWNINGS?
Swimming pool owners must display a reasonable duty of care to those who use their facilities, even when it is a private pool in their backyard.
Important ways to decrease swimming pool deaths include:
- Formal swimming lessons
- Teaching basic survival skills, such as righting oneself in the water
- Training a child how to proceed a short distance in water
- Learning how to tread water
- Fencing a pool off on all four sides from the surrounding area
- CPR given by someone close by
- Use of life jackets
- Being watchful and never leaving a young child unattended in a swimming pool
- Have a lifeguard on duty
Deaths from drownings and other swimming pool injuries could be decreased by resorts or hotels that take greater responsibility for guests’ safety. In Las Vegas, the potential for swimming pool accidents are high due to the volume of alcohol people consume at pool parties and while staying at Las Vegas hotels and resorts.
If you or someone you love is injured or has tragically lost their lives in a swimming pool accident, contact our experienced Las Vegas premises liability lawyers at the law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith to schedule a consultation today at 702-830-9478.