Chiropractor Services for Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries occur at a rate of 10,000 – 12,000 per year in the U.S., according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, and approx. 250,000 Americans are living with a spinal cord injury. About 40 percent of these spinal cord injuries were caused by auto accidents.
In the Las Vegas area, chiropractor services for spinal cord injuries are available, as are other types of medical treatment. Compensation for these medical and chiropractor services may be available too, particularly for work-related spinal cord injuries. To find out if you are eligible to seek compensation to pay for treatments such as chiropractor services, contact the Las Vegas injury attorneys at the law firm of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith.
How Does a Spinal Cord Injury Occur?
A spinal cord injury is usually due to a sudden, traumatic blow to the spine that dislocates or fractures vertebrae. Although the largest portion of spinal cord injuries occur from auto accidents, another one-quarter are the result of violent encounters. The remaining spinal cord injuries are caused by work-related injuries, falls (from a height or on a slippery surface), and sporting accidents.
Spinal Cord Injury Pain and Other Symptoms
Spinal cord pain can sometimes be overcome with pain medication, but other symptoms of a spinal cord injury can be just as troubling:
- an oddly positioned or twisted neck or back
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty with balance and walking
- exaggerated reflex activities or spasms
- loss of bladder or bowel control
- loss of ability to move
- loss of sensation, including the ability to feel touch, heat/cold
- numbness or tingling in the hands, fingers, feet or toes
- lack of coordination; weakness, or paralysis in any part of the body
Spinal Cord Injury Diagnosis
A spinal cord injury diagnosis is made by physicians using the following:
- CT (computerized tomography) scan
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- neurological tests
An accurate report from the injured individual or his/her family regarding symptoms and signs of a spinal cord injury is helpful too.
Spinal Cord Injury Treatments (Chiropractor Services)
In many cases, chiropractor services and physical therapy can greatly improve an individual’s ability to function after a spinal cord injury. Additional treatment options include:
- immobilization to prevent further spinal cord damage
- medication, including methylprednisolone to reduce damage to nerve cells
- surgery to remove bone fragments or fractured vertebrae
- experimental treatments and surgeries
Compensation May Be Available for Spinal Cord Injuries
At Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith, we may be able to help you recover compensation to cover your medical treatments if your spinal cord injury was caused by an auto accident, construction accident, sport-related injury or any other type of accident.
To find out if you qualify to seek compensation for your injury, contact the Las Vegas spinal cord injury attorney of Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith today.