The tantalizing bright lights of Las Vegas, Nevada, bring excited tourists and beckon local residents to enjoy the sights and attractions that our great city has to offer at all hours of the day and night. However, because of the high level of pedestrian traffic, particularly around tourist areas like the Strip and Old Downtown Las Vegas, pedestrian injuries are more common here than most other cities in America.
Despite the efforts that have been put into keeping the roads of Las Vegas safe for everyone, yet another recently released report has revealed that Las Vegas is still one of the most dangerous areas for pedestrians.
13th Most Dangerous in the Nation
The 2014 release of the annual report, “Dangerous by Design” by Smart Growth America is out and the national and local numbers are staggering:
- Between 2003 and 2012, approximately 676,000 pedestrians were injured (that’s one individual being injured by a car almost every 8 minutes!)
- During that same time period, 47,025 people died while walking
- In 2012, pedestrians represented almost 15% of all traffic fatalities
While the national average may be 15%, here in Las Vegas, we have a much higher percentage of pedestrian related traffic deaths with 20% of our injured pedestrians succumbing to their injuries.
Why Is Las Vegas So Unsafe for Pedestrians?
There are a number of factors that contribute to our city’s problem with pedestrian safety:
- Thousands of tourists who are unfamiliar with the city visit the area every year
- Many residents and tourists hit the streets at night – when visibility is reduced – to experience the Las Vegas nightlife
- Many retirees come to Las Vegas (seniors and young children are most commonly affected by pedestrian injuries)
- The city’s infrastructure poorly supports those travelling on foot
Representing Las Vegas Pedestrian Accident Victims
Our Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorneys at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter and Smith work hard to protect the victims of pedestrian accidents. Our experience in evaluating pedestrian injury cases throughout Nevada and handling all necessary legal procedures has allowed many victims to focus on their recovery while we ensure that full and proper compensation is received.